Justitia, Old Bridge of Heidelberg

Justitia, Old Bridge of Heidelberg
Justitia, Old Bridge of Heidelberg © Gernot Keller, 2007
Blinkered Justice articles also appear on CrimeTalk and Government In The Lab

Sunday 23 October 2011

Bystander Apathy 2.0 - Chinese edition - A reply


(c) VollwertBIT
The Global Sociology Blog published this post on the sad death of 2-year old Chinese girl, Wang Yue. I have commented on the article as I believe it ignores the local context. 

I have not watched the video, and so I can comment on the 'bystander apathy' referred to in the article. My argument is for a broader understanding of the cultural relativity in this particular crime. My comment, published on The Global Sociology Blog, is on the same page. I now see that The Guardian printed this piece a few days ago. 


Quite apart from my comments on the cultural contexts, there are flaws in the original Darley and Latane experiment and findings that gave birth to this term. The experiment lacked ecological validity; the victim was male, the victim was not murdered, the bystanders could not see the victim, or each other, are among the most obvious. 


However, it is the social psychological elements that are missing from the study and findings that need to be taken into account for future research. 


No comments:

Post a Comment